Voice of Khalistan

News Updates

November 27, 2018


Guru Nanak’s Concept of Justice – Article discusses concept of justice according to Guru Nanak Dev Ji


April 10, 2018


Khalistan: One Sikh's View - Response to I.J. Singh’s article against Khalistan posted.

March 28, 2014


A detailed biography of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji is added under the Sikh Gurus section.


March 10, 2014


Authenticity of Shabad Guru: Historical Perspective - Was Guru Granth Sahib ever declared a Guru or given Gurgaddi? This article refutes the Namdhari theories.

- See more at: http://searchsikhism.com/#sthash.dCxb32sh.dpuf

Find Us On...

Find Sikh Freedom Home Page on FacebookFind Sikh Freedom Home Page on Twitter

Bhai Narinder Singh

The following is the story of Narinder Singh, resident of Ghuman Kalan. He states:

"On the 16th Aug. 84, I and a friend of mine who was accompanying me were apprehended by a police inspector near Dera Baba Nanak.  All I could think was that we would be hauled up under section 183 because at that time pillion riding was banned. We were taken to the lockup and upon asking as to what was our fault the police inspector started beating me and said that, "I have been looking for you since long because you have done much damage and have also committed murders."

The next day early morning us two and another person who too had been detained, were produced before the SDM, Batala station where we were challaned under Section 188. Later, I came to know that the two others had been released on bail. I was then produced in the court of the Naib Judge, Batala, where I saw the SHO Gurbachan Singh holding a sheaf of papers. The SHO pleaded that I, Narinder Singh, was wanted in the 2nd June action and a police remand was obtained till the 24th Aug.

In the night I was tortured as per the methods of he police e.g. "Ghotana" and "Latt Paadna" etc. and even third degree methods were employed which are usually employed against Sikh youths nowadays.

On the 19th Aug. 1984 the SSP Pandey came personally to interrogate me.  As soon as he entered the lockup he abused me, using the worst adjectives for my sister. To this I protested and told him that all mothers/sisters deserve a place of respect, so whatsoever the case may be, talk like a gentleman.  Hearing this Pandey asked me as to if I was threatening him. I replied in the affirmative and told him that I would like to narrate a few facts. I told him that I had been detained on 27th march 1984 by the SHO Dhariwal, Ranjit Singh Bhullar who picked me from my village Ghmaam Kalan. He was not able to detain me beyond two hours because I was innocent.  Today too I was as innocent as I was before.

On hearing this Pandey ordered me out of the cell and once again I was tortured. Pandey then ordered the DSP Batala to eliminate me in an encounter, "Saamna".  I was again thrown into the lockup.

On the night of 23rd Aug. at around 10 PM the DSP, Batala along with 2 jeep loads of policemen arrived. They blindfolded me, took me out of the lock up.  I was bundled into the jeep and I had no sense of direction but when the jeeps halted, on some enquiries I could guess the direction in which I was being taken. I was taken towards the border on the banks of the Ravi.  After being told to alight I was bound to a Eucalyptus tree and told to disclose as to whatever I knew.  I protested as I knew nothing but then they started insisting that I hand them over the stengun which I was supposedly having.  I told them that I was basically a farmer and had nothing to do with firearms.

Ultimately, when I came to know that they were going to shoot me, I tried a ruse and asked them if they knew the SHO Gurbachan Singh.  On hearing this, the SHO who was also in the team came forward and I told him that we both brothers had taken an oath that if any police officer would kill either, the other would somehow manage to kill the son of the officer.

I also told him that my brother would kill the SHO's son if I was eliminated; as all knew that my arrest and remand had been processed by Gurbachan Singh.  So if he wanted his son to be saved he would have to save me.

The SHO then went to the DSP, talked and argued in hushed tones and after about 15 minutes of deliberation I was freed from by bonds, bundled into the jeep and was taken to various places.  At about 3.45 p.m. on 24th Aug. I was again put in the lockup till morning. The blindfold put on me was packed with chilies, so the condition of the eyes went from bad to worse. In the morning I was again produced in the court where the police had applied for further remand. The further remand was refused by the SDM on account of my eyes.  Immediately the Dhariwal police also applied for my police remand as I was supposedly involved in various cases registered with them. This too was refused by the SDM and I was sent to judicial custody. I was kept at the Gurdaspur Central jail from 24th Aug. 1984 to 14th Dec. 1984 without any charge.

It was on this day that I was released because the police withdrew my case for they had no charges against me.  I started on with my farming activities again.

On the 28th Jan. 1985 some miscreants put the village school on fire and the police started looking for me but somehow I was able to evade them. On the 27th of March my residence was raided by the police where they found no incriminating item and when they enquired about me, they were told that I was away. I started thinking of the reasons as to why I was being harassed continuously but the very next day I came to know that my elder brother Jatinder Singh had been picked up in Chandigarh and several statements had been recorded in his name.

Since that very day I have never slept under my roof, evading the police and have been remaining underground.

Taken from Report to the Nation: Oppression in Punjab